Scents are magical in many different ways to different people.
As I mentioned in one of my previous posts, I loved scents and started my perfume and cologne collection back when I was in elementary and high school. I collected from high end perfumes to the affordable ones and I had so much bottles that I don’t even know where to put them. I just put them in boxes that occupied so much space in my cabinet back then. I had 300-400 bottles all in all before (no bottle duplicates) then due to lack of space and because when I started working, I needed more space for new clothes and bags, I had to throw them away.
I sometimes have one cologne/ perfume for a month or sometimes I change what I use depending on my mood. I just realised that smell may set our mood and ability to do things for a particular time or day. Why? Because scents can affect a person’s mood, performance, and attitude. But not because they’re simply magical but it’s because of our experiences and memory about a particular scent. For example, when you smell fresh flowers, you may remember your childhood garden where your mom gardens while you enjoy playing in the yard. Maybe when you smell cookies being bake, you remember your kitchures with your sister or friends. Memories and every scent’s meaning experience is different from one person to another.
You’ll be surprised on what smell can do to our mood and our ability or inability to do stuff.
So what are the smells you’d want for your day? Here are the most common ones.
- Lavender – for relaxation, sound sleep, stress relief, calms the mind and body, helps ease depression and sleep problems like insomnia
- Olive Oil– satisfy the appetite, curb cravings
- Apple – control feeling of anxiety in times of depression, mitigate migraine
- Jasmine– ease depression, uplift a person’s mood, help create a sense of alertness
- Peppermint– fight fatigue, refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting, balancing, stimulating and focusing the mind while relaxing, elevates the mood
- Vanilla – happy, relaxed, and calm state of mind, stress relief
- Lemon, tangerine, orange or citrus – happy, relaxed, and calm state of mind, romance, stress relief, refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting, makes one feel more energized, gives a clean and fresh feeling
- Fresh grass – makes one more joyful and relaxed, feel-good scent
- Cinnamon – creative thinking, concentration, help boost brain power
- Pine – fight fatigue, refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting, alleviate stress
- Rosemary– energizing and cleansing
- Eucalyptus – enhance mental focus, refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting
- Ylang Ylang – romance, telaxing, calming
- Chamomile – sound sleep, calming
- Sandalwood – sound sleep, stress relief, calming
- Honeysuckle – stress relief
- Rose – stress relief, calming, refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting
- Frankincense – stress relief, calming, focus
- Nutmeg – refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting
- Tea Tree – refreshing, revitalizing and uplifting
It’s amazing how our senses can be so powerful. Proper triggers will empower us to become better versions of ourself. The sense of smell can definitely inspire us and relax us. It can even take us back down to memory lane.
“Fragrance makes us dream”- F. Nars