There are days when you need to make your meals fast but you’d like it to be special for the family. Today again, I was challenged to make cook something with soup for our young toddler, healhy, and I have to cook it quickly to make time for other errands and chores.
Nilaga has been a staple food in a Filipino home. Nilaga can be cooked with chicken, beef, or pork. Some people who do not usually cook find it complicated. But hey, it’s totally not!
Here’s my quick Nilaga meal for lunch today for the family. I used whatever ingredients I found available in our kitchen 🙂 Some even cook this meal by putting all ingredients in a pot then bring to a boil and simmer. That easy! But I’d like to do mine with a little timing when you drop the ingredient to let them simmer first one at a time.
- 1 kilo of chicken (you may also use pork or beef)
- Half medium onion or 1 small onion
- Medium cabbage
- 4 quartered medium potatoes
- 1 whole corn, cut into 5-6 portions
- Salt and peppercorn to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 6 cups of water
- Heat the cooking oil in a deep cooking pot then saute the onion
- Put in the chicken. Cook until the color turns light brown around 3-5 mins.
- Pour in the water. Bring to a boil. Add the salt and peppercorn. Simmer for 10-15 mins.
- Add the corn then simmer for another 6-7 mins.
- Add the potatoes and cabbage. Simmer for another 3-4 mins.
- Transfer to a serving bowl to share and enjoy!
*** You can add string beans too for this dish.
***Serve with fish sauce dipping sauce, if needed.
“The most indispensable of all good home cooking: love for those you are cooking for.” – Sophia Loren
I am currently in a cold room and I can perfectly imagine how this hot nilaga tastes like. Nom nom nom! Have a lovely day! 🙂