Cooking is a good stress-reliever for me and maybe some people can relate to that. My love for cooking mixed with the baby’s love for table food (or shall mommy say “love for my cooking”? 😉 ), inspires me to cook everyday for the family.
Since my baby’s food should always be healthy with protein, and carbohydrates in it and she needs soup to easily eat the rice, chicken macaroni soup is one dish that’s quick for me to make and the whole family enjoys it too. It has chicken and ham for protein, pasta for carbohydrates, carrots and peas for veggies, and a few more healthy ingredients.
Here’s the recipe of my quick (there are several steps but trust me, it’s really easy),healthy Chicken Macaroni Soup:
Ham (cubed or chopped)
half kilo chicken (depends on what part of the chicken you prefer)
1-2 cups elbow macaroni (raw)
1 medium yellow onion, minced
1/4 – 1/2 cup butter, melted
1 medium or large carrot, diced (or you may use a small pack of mixed vegetables)
4 cups chicken broth
6 cups of water
1 1/2 cup milk or 1 (14 oz.) can evaporated milk
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the chicken for 30 minutes or until tender.
2. Remove the chicken and let it cool. Put aside the chicken broth (water where we boiled the chicken).
3. If you want, shred the chicken meat using your hands when the chicken cools down. Throw the bones away. I chose to skip this step though but I guess eating the soup without the bones is easier.
4. In another heated pan, put in the butter and oil. Saute the onion and carrots/ mixed veggies.
5. Add the chicken and ham.
6. Add the chicken broth and the remaining water used to boil the chicken. Stir and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
7. Add the elbow macaroni. Cook for another 15 minutes.
8. add more water if needed then put the milk.
9. Add salt and pepper to adjust the taste.
Soup away! Share and enjoy! 🙂