The name of this dish is intimidating for some. Sounds so complicated and hard to do but not really. It has more ingredients though but they’re all easy to find and not expensive. On a random day just when I thought I’m running out of cooking ideas and dishes to cook, I cooked Chicken Pastel for dinner. Just tried it out and it went pretty well.
Of course not all the things I cook in our kitchen are successful. But so far, I’m proud to say I just had a couple of failed dishes versus the successful ones I share with you 😆
We rarely cook pork in the home. We usually cook chicken and fish. We just believe these are healthier options. So here’s another chicken dish.
Here’s my take on Chicken Pastel. Try it too! My version is a creamy one:
- 1 kg chicken fillet (better to cut into cubes)
- 1-2 medium carrot
- 1 smedium-sized bell pepper, cut in cubes
- 1-2 medium potatoes
- 4-6 cloves of garlic, chopped
- medium onion, chopped
- 3-5 pieces of hotdog or vienna sausages (I used German Franks for this one)
- 1 tall can evaporated milk
- 1 pack or medium can of all purpose cream
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of mushrooms (button or sliced)
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Sauté onions, garlic then add the chicken fillet. Simmer until the meat becomes a bit tender around 2-3 minutes.
- Add the hotdogs, carrots, potatoes, and mushrooms. Simmer for 2-3 more minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, all purpose cream, and evaporated milk.
- Put salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 5-10 more minutes.
- Top with grated cheese before serving.
- Enjoy and Share!
*** You may eat it as is or with hot plain rice.
My almost a year old baby loves this too with her rice 🙂 This is also good for babies and toddlers. Explore their taste buds, they might just love it!
Try it and enjoy!