Brushing toddler’s teeth can be difficult for many (but not all). Most kids this age resist when objects are to be placed inside their mouth (think about it, even adults too right?). So don’t stress if your child hates brushing his teeth (although some may not pass his stage) because it’s temporary. Temporary if you educate your child on proper hygiene and care for his body and regularly practice it with him. Be patient and try to make it as fun and happy always. Here’s what you can do:
1. Make the child watch fun toothbrushing videos like these
- This is the Way we Brush our Teeth
- Brush your teeth and other healthy habits
- Brush your teeth by Super Simple Songs
- Brush your teeth
- Toothbrushing song by Blip
2. Get a nice toothbrush
Get the ones that are colourful, attractive, with lights, or with your child’s favourite character to keep brushing fun.
3. Pick a good toothpaste
Choose a toothpaste that is safe to be swallowed and flavor is good (you can taste it yourself since whatever tastes bad for you will more or less taste bad for your child).
4. Keep the activity fun and happy
Sing a song while brushing or count with the brushing strokes
5. Give a small reward or a promise of something to do after brushing
Make sure it’s what the child enjoys doing
6. Brush wih your child
Brushing together will make it fun and who doesn’t enjoy doing things together with our loved ones right?
7. Use a fun mobile app timer
There are several apps in the App Store and Goole Play. You can try what’s best for your child
8. Let them try and do it themselves if they can already (perhaps if your child is 1 or 2 and above already?)
9. Do not force them
It will instill fear and hate whenever they brush their teeth.
Have fun and apply patience at all times! Kids will get the hang of it sooner or later